This is definitely my Sunday Fiesta dish! You will need a slow cooker or a pressure cooker for this one, though. I also used an electric chopper to speed up prep time., but of course, you can just do the chopping by hand. It's worth all the waiting...and the chopping!!
2 large beef shanks(1.3kgs)
2 T olive oil
4 T flour seasoned with salt and pepper
3 T butter
1 c onions,chopped
1 c carrots, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 1/2 c white wine
1 beef cube
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 pack 250g tomato sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil or Italian Seasoning
2pcs bay leaf
1 tsp parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Dredge the shanks in seasoned flour and fry in olive oil enough to brown all sides. Set aside.
2. Using the same pan, add the butter and stir fry the vegetables until fragrant and softened.
3. Add the white wine and the remaining ingredients. Cook for awhile.
4. Transfer the vegetable mixture into the slow cooker. Put the shanks on top of the vegetables.
5. Cook in high for 4 hours.
I made mashed potatoes to eat with my Osso Bucco. Trust me, this dish always leaves a smile on my face!!