- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 T butter
- 4 T apple sauce
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 T vinegar
- 6 tsps canned strawberry pie filling
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 9 T flour
- 6 T cold butter
- 3 T white sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease a large size muffin pan (6 muffins)
2. Combine vinegar and 1/3 cup milk. Set aside.
3. Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the apple sauce continue beating.Gradually add sugar, then the egg and the egg white. Add the milk (the mixture will be lumpy) and continue beating.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix until everything is smooth and creamy.
6. Laddle the butter into the muffin pan.
7. Crumble topping: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter into the flour and sugar.
8. Put a tsp of strawberry filling on top of each muffin. Swish some of the liquid inside the batter using a knife. Take a handful of crumble topping and cover the top of each muffin.
9. Bake in the oven for 23 minutes or until done.
10. Cool for 5 minutes.